Saturday 26 November 2011

Joseph and Leicester

Joseph lived in the poorer quarter of Leicester - at least it was back in the 19th century. Even today though, it seems set aside, almost forgotten and has a different feel about it. If you like, (for want of a better word), it has an altogether different 'vibration'.  It's quite open, the streets are relatively bare and here and there are some precise glimpses into his day, in terms of architecture and peeping cobbles.  Of course, I am rather fond of that area, due to my growing admiration and understanding of Joseph.  However, even so, the 'differences' around Lee Circle, Gladstone Street and Wharf Street are plain to see - and feel.

On my recent visit to Leicester, this November, I walked along a number of streets Joseph would have known and trod. Particularly though, I made a bee-line for the clock tower, where he would hawk his wares of shoes laces, boot black, gloves and so on, from a tray, (or box), hung around his neck.  Standing there, as I did, I had a first hand taste of the winters in Leicester. The chill went straight to my bones.  19th century winters were bleak, so much colder than now.  Joseph would have needed to walk 1.25 miles from his home in Lee Street, (a physically painful and emotional thing), to reach there.  On top of that, people would make fun of him, because of his deformities.  Poor lad.

I'm always pleased to be in Leicester and, I noticed, the moment I stepped off the train, that it felt like home - like putting on comfortable gloves.... I walked around confidently and, as silly and as dramatic as it may sound, it felt like the city was welcoming me.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to go there sometime and do what you did, seeing these places in Joseph's life and story. The picture I've seen of the clock tower are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete