Friday 2 December 2011

Presenting the plaque


(Above article: Leicester Mercury newspaper, Leicester, UK - 1st December 2011) 
~~~
The 1st of December was a fantastic day. The rain kept off and it was bright, (still notably colder in Leicester though, comparing it to London). I met Stephen Butt, (fellow FoJCM), in the Moat Community College reception and we were led into the assembly hall, where we individually addressed around 300 teenagers -- extremely well behaved teenagers, I might add. After the address, a photographer from the Leicester Mercury took some group photos.  Stephen and I were photographed with the student council chairman, Habiburrehman Kara, a charming young man, who does the College proud.

I am delighted, that after years of work, (unveiling the plaque in its original location;  appealing to the Leicester Mercury for help to find it, as someone had removed it;  travelling to Leicester to retrieve it;  seeking out a new location for it; and finally, recently presenting it to the Moat Community College on Thursday, 24th November 2011). It's been a long journey, spanning some six years or so, but it was so very worth it. The plaque is now in the most appropriate place and has direct links to Joseph's life in Leicester.

It's a great achievement of the Friends and, I really couldn't be more proud of our work. Thank you to every one concerned and a special thank you to Stephen Butt, for officially presenting the plaque. When handing it over, his last few words were, "take good care of it".  I thought that was a very nice touch.

It will be going up on the wall, next to the school's reception area and I'll visit again in the new year to take some photos of it, in it's final resting place. 

Thank you so much Moat Community College, Leicester!

~  Jeanette

5 comments:

  1. That's wonderful news! Joseph is "returning" to a welcoming hometown. I think he would be pleased to see he's remembered at Moat Community College, since he loved books and learning.
    Well done, Jeanette and Stephen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we all could have been there with you. This is such an honor, and it's so nice of Moat Community College are so welcoming to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it really would have been a dream come true to have all the Friends there with me, as much for you as for me. It's my utmost pleasure representing you all though and every single one of you are in my thoughts whenever I do anything 'Merrick' in public.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally, a home where it will be appreciated, cared for - and I'm sure will encourage even more interest and admiration for Joseph. You must be so proud! Congratualations to both yourself and Stephen - I think you also thoroughly enjoyed yourselves too! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally, a home where the plaque will be appreciated, cared for - and I'm sure encourage interest and admiration for Joseph's story too. You must be so proud Jeanette! Congratulations to both yourself and Stephen - and I'm sure you enjoyed yourselves as well!I look forward to seeing the plaque ''up'' in it's place of honour.

    ReplyDelete